Prevention of Trichomoniasis
Prevention list: Methods of prevention of Trichomoniasis mentioned in various sources includes those listed below. This prevention information is gathered from various sources, and may be inaccurate or incomplete. None of these methods guarantee prevention of Trichomoniasis.
Prevention of Trichomoniasis: Follow these guidelines.
Abstain from sexual intercourse; or,
- Use a latex condom properly, every time you have sexual intercourse, with every partner.
- Limit your sexual partners. The more sex partners you have, the greater your risk of encountering someone who has this or other STDs.
- If you are infected, your sexual partner(s) should be treated. This will prevent you from getting reinfected.
How can trichomoniasis be prevented?
correctly every time you have sex.
The use of latex or polyurethane condoms during vaginal intercourse can prevent the transmission of trichomoniasis. However, condoms do not provide complete protection from all STDs. Sores and lesions of other STDs on infected men and women may be present in areas not covered by the condom, resulting in transmission of infection to another person.
Limit the number of sex partners, and do not go back and forth between partners.
Practice sexual abstinence, or limit sexual contact to one uninfected partner.
If you think you
are infected, avoid sexual contact and see a health care
Any genital symptoms such as discharge or burning during urination or an unusual sore or rash should be a signal to stop having sex and to consult a health care provider immediately. If you are told you have trichomoniasis or any other STD and receive treatment, you should notify all of your recent sex partners so that they can see a health care provider and be treated.2
male condoms may help prevent the spread of trichomoniasis,
although careful studies have never been done that focus on how to
prevent this infection. 3
1. excerpt from Trichomonas Infection: DPD
2. excerpt from Trichomoniasis: DSTD
3. excerpt from Vaginitis Due to Vaginal Infections, NIAID Fact Sheet: NIAID
Last revision: June 23, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center