Symptom: Yellow skin
Yellow skin: Yellow coloring affecting the skin
Introduction: Yellow skin is a serious symptom needing prompt professional diagnosis, because it is most commonly caused by jaundice with various possible underlying causes of jaundice including severe liver conditions. It is important to check for yellow eyes in addition to yellow skin. Yellow skin needs to be distinguished from orange skin or other skin color changes.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Yellow skin:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Symptoms related to Yellow skin: orange skin (3), yellow eyes (21), skin color changes (129), dark skin (21), red skin (0), jaundice-like symptoms (50)
Yellow skin type of: Skin symptoms (226), Skin color changes (129), Jaundice-like symptoms (50)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Yellow skin: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Yellow skin as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Jaundice - see also various causes of jaundice
- Carotenemia - causes more orange skin than yellow skin
- Beta-carotene dietary excess - usually more orange skin than yellow skin.
- Pernicious anemia
- Uremia - causing a dry yellow-brown skin
- Xanthomata - small yellow fat deposits under the skin.
- Gouty tophi - a skin effect from gout
- Bruise - the skin area of a bruise may go yellow usually as part of recovery.
Medications or substances causing Yellow skin: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Yellow skin as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Mepacrine - an anti-malarial
Conditions listing symptoms: Yellow skin: The following list of conditions have 'Yellow skin' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Last revised: Nov 12, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center