Whitening: Whitening or reduced coloring of the skin
Introduction: Whitening of the skin often refers to a loss of pigment from the skin, called hypopigmentation. Lightening of the skin due to paleness is more properly called pallor. Any skin whitening or paleness symptoms need prompt professional medical advice.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Whitening:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Types of Whitening: hypopigmentation (4), white patches (2)
Symptoms related to Whitening: hypopigmentation (4), paleness (40), skin color changes (129), dark skin (21), hyperpigmentation (9), lines on skin (2)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Whitening: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Whitening as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Some causes of local whitening of the skin or white patches include:
- Vitiligo - causing white patches
- Whiteheads (see Pimples)
- Halo nevus - a pale mole with surrounding hypopigmentation.
- Tinea versicolor (type of Tinea) - a mainly upper body rash that starts brown but goes whiter.
- Raynaud's phenomenon - may cause various skin color changes between red, white, and blue.
- Local skin injury - recovering skin may lose some color.
- Arterial blockage
- Peripheral vascular disease
- Phlegmasia alba dolens - causing a pale and cold leg.
- Some causes of white patches include:
- Some causes of general paleness include:
Conditions listing symptoms: Whitening: The following list of conditions have 'Whitening' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center