Symptom: Vomiting blood
Vomiting blood: Blood appearing in vomited material.
Introduction: Vomiting of blood is called "hematemesis". Vomiting blood is a medical emergency. Seek professional emergency medical advice immediately. There are various causes of vomiting blood, and many are very serious.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Vomiting blood:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Vomiting blood type of: Vomiting (200)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Vomiting blood: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Vomiting blood as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Nose condition
- Prior nosebleed - the blood from a nosebleed may have been swallowed causing later "coffee ground vomit".
- Swallowed blood - results in "coffee ground" consistency.
- Throat condition (type of Neck conditions)
- Blood in sputum - blood from the lungs may have been coughed up and swallowed.
- Lung bleeding
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Peptic ulcer
- Gastric erosion
- Esophageal bleeding (type of Gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Esophageal irritation - such as from persistent coughing or other irritations.
- Esophagus vein hemorrhage
- Cirrhosis of the liver
- Chronic hepatitis (type of Hepatitis)
- Stomach bleeding (type of Gastrointestinal bleeding) - causing "coffee ground" vomit
- Stomach cancer
- Certain foods or drinks - may cause reddish color in vomit rather than being blood:
- Artificial food colorings
- Red or purple foods or drinks
- Certain drugs
- See also blood in sputum, vomiting, or other bleeding symptoms
Medications or substances causing Vomiting blood: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Vomiting blood as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Any drugs that may cause gastric erosion such as:
- Certain caustic substances - if swallowed
Conditions listing symptoms: Vomiting blood: The following list of conditions have 'Vomiting blood' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Conditions listing complications: Vomiting blood: The following list of conditions have 'Vomiting blood' or similar listed as a complication in our database. The distinction between a symptom and complication is not always clear, and conditions mentioning this symptom as a complication may also be relevant. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Last revised: Nov 10, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center