Shivering: Body or skin shaking or shivering symptoms
Introduction: Shivering refers to the shaking of the skin usually related to cold, or the perception of cold. A high fever can also give you the chills and cause shivering, despite a high body temperature, and there are numerous causes of fever. Other types of body motion that are not really "shivering" include tremor, trembling, twitches, spasms, seizures and so on. Shivering can be a symptom of serious medical conditions and needs prompt professional medical advice.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Shivering:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Symptoms related to Shivering: fever (279), cold sweat (0), tremor (0), trembling (44), twitches (9), chills (91), temperature sensitivity (17), hypothermia (4), coldness (0)
Shivering type of: Chills (91)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Shivering: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Shivering as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Cold weather
- Feeling cold (see Chills)
- Cold sweats
- Fever - see the many causes of high fever that may cause shivering.
- Cold sensitivity
- Panic attack - causes people to feel hot and cold flashes (but usually with numerous other symptoms including panic).
- See also causes of chills, temperature sensitivity, cold sweats, hypothermia, fever, high fever
- Other symptoms that might be imprecisely described as "shivering" include:
Conditions listing symptoms: Shivering: The following list of conditions have 'Shivering' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Last revised: Dec 5, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center