Symptom: Rectal bleeding
Rectal bleeding: Bleeding from the anus or rectum.
Introduction: Bleeding from the rectum or anus is a serious symptom. The first or most noticable symptom may be bloody stool or bloody diarrhea. The condition may be caused by gastrointestinal bleeding. Any bleeding symptom needs prompt professional medical advice.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Rectal bleeding:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Types of Rectal bleeding: bloody stool (41)
Rectal bleeding type of: Bleeding symptoms (146), Bloody stool (41), Anal symptoms (38)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Rectal bleeding: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Rectal bleeding as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Hemorrhoids - usually bright red blood in stool or on toilet paper.
- Anal fissure
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Ulcerative colitis
- Intestinal polyps (type of Polyp)
- Rectal cancer
- Colon cancer
- Diverticular disease
- Jejunal diverticula
- Peptic ulcer - may cause black stool
- Esophageal bleeding (type of Gastrointestinal bleeding) - see causes of esophageal bleeding
- Meckel's diverticulum
- Certain drugs
- See also causes of blood in stool, dark stool, black stool or other bleeding symptoms
Medications or substances causing Rectal bleeding: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Rectal bleeding as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Certain drugs cause gastric bleeding or gastrointestinal bleeding
- Steroids, NSAIDs
- See also drug causes of gastrointestinal bleeding
Conditions listing symptoms: Rectal bleeding: The following list of conditions have 'Rectal bleeding' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Conditions listing complications: Rectal bleeding: The following list of conditions have 'Rectal bleeding' or similar listed as a complication in our database. The distinction between a symptom and complication is not always clear, and conditions mentioning this symptom as a complication may also be relevant. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center