Symptom: Poor appetite
Poor appetite: Loss or reduction in appetite for food
Detailed cause information for symptom: Poor appetite:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Symptoms related to Poor appetite: fullness (7), food symptoms (22), undereating (11), thinness (4), weight loss (120)
Poor appetite type of: Eating symptoms (138), Appetite changes (116)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Poor appetite: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Poor appetite as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Physical disorders affecting appetite:
- Fever - any fever may cause temporary loss of appetite.
- Prolonged fever (see Fever) - may affect appetite long enough to cause weight loss
- Viral hepatitis
- Normal aging
- Heart conditions
- Heart disease
- Heart failure
- Liver conditions
- Zinc deficiency
- Hiatus hernia
- Duodenal ulcer
- Stomach cancer
- Lung cancer
- Common emotional or mental symptoms affecting appetite - causing people to lose interest in eating.
- Physical eating difficulties - such as pain when eating or swallowing pain; can lead people and especially children to try not to eat.
- Certain medications
- Amphetamine intoxication
Medications or substances causing Poor appetite: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Poor appetite as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Appetite suppressant medications
- Amphetamines - will suppress appetite
- Some antibiotics
- Certain cold medications
- Certain nasal decongestants
- Phenylpropanolamine (PPA)
- Certain pain relief medications
- Certain anti-arthritis medications
Conditions listing symptoms: Poor appetite: The following list of conditions have 'Poor appetite' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Conditions listing complications: Poor appetite: The following list of conditions have 'Poor appetite' or similar listed as a complication in our database. The distinction between a symptom and complication is not always clear, and conditions mentioning this symptom as a complication may also be relevant. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Last revised: Nov 10, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center