Overeating: Eating too much food.
Introduction: Overeating may be caused by changed in appetite (see excessive hunger) or in some cases it may arise without an increase in appetite.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Overeating:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Symptoms related to Overeating: excessive hunger (12), appetite changes (116), food symptoms (22), weight gain (29), undereating (11), weight loss (120), thinness (4), cravings (4)
Overeating type of: Eating symptoms (138)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Overeating: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Overeating as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Some common causes of overeating may include:
- Boredom - people often eat when they've nothing else to do.
- Habitual overeating
- Comfort overeating
- Quitting smoking
- Eating disorders
- Depressive disorders
- Psycholical disorders that may cause overeating include:
- Borderline personality disorder
- Klein-Levin syndrome
- Hypothalamus disorder
- Excessive hunger - various disorders cause excessive hunger, such as:
- Marijuana intoxication
- Diabetes - usually if undiagnosed or poorly controlled diabetes
- Diabetic ketoacidosis
- Hypoglycemic attack
- Reactive hypoglycemia (type of Hypoglycemia) - overeating occurs to avoid going "down" into a hypoglycemic attack.
- Graves Disease
- Bipolar disease - overeating and excessive appetite when in the manic phase.
- Appetite changes
- Certain medications - mainly because some medications stimulate appetite
- See also causes of appetite changes and excessive hunger
Medications or substances causing Overeating: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Overeating as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Medications that may stimulate the appetite include:
Conditions listing symptoms: Overeating: The following list of conditions have 'Overeating' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Last revised: Nov 3, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center