Numbness: Loss of feeling or sensation
Introduction: Numbness usually arises from damage or disease of nerves. Numbness is often associated with or preceded by abnormal pain-like sensations often described as pins-and-needles, prickling or burning sensations; these are called paresthesias. Numbness is loss of sensation whereas paralysis usually involves both the loss of the ability to move the area and loss of sensations. The term "numbness" is also sometimes used to refer to emotional numbness or detachment. Any numbness or abnormal sensation symptoms need prompt professional medical advice.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Numbness:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Types of Numbness: arm numbness (25), hand numbness (16), finger numbness (8), leg numbness (22), foot numbness (9), toe numbness (4), numb thigh (2)
Symptoms related to Numbness: hypersensitive (6), paresthesias (48), paralysis (65)
Numbness type of: Pain (604), Nerve symptoms (207), Sensations (211)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Numbness: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Numbness as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Various general possible causes of numbness include:
- Nerve disorders (see Nerve symptoms)
- Nerve entrapments
- Nerve compression syndromes
- Repetitive motion disorders
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Circulatory disorders
- Rheumatoid arthritis
- Multiple sclerosis
- Transient ischemic attack
- Panic attack - some patients report numbness or tingling in panic attacks (but only with many other symptoms including panic).
- Numbness can affect various body parts and its cause depends on the location of the numbness:
- Panic attack - can get tingling or numbness in panic attacks, but usually with many other symptoms.
- See also causes of paresthesias, paralysis, tingling, or other related symptoms
Conditions listing symptoms: Numbness: The following list of conditions have 'Numbness' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Conditions listing complications: Numbness: The following list of conditions have 'Numbness' or similar listed as a complication in our database. The distinction between a symptom and complication is not always clear, and conditions mentioning this symptom as a complication may also be relevant. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Last revised: Nov 3, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center