Symptom: Lack of facial expression
Lack of facial expression: Face without normal facial expressions (flat affect)
Introduction: An absence of expression on the face is medically called "flat affect". In many cases, the face mirrors the underlying emotions, and the person has limited emotions or various emotional or psychological disorders.
Also possible are physical disorders of the face that limit the ability of the face to show emotion. For example, the partial facial paralysis from Bell's palsy may reduce a person's ability to smile.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Lack of facial expression:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Symptoms related to Lack of facial expression: smile symptoms (10), face symptoms (165), expression symptoms, facial paralysis (10)
Lack of facial expression type of: Face symptoms (165), Expressions (16), Smile symptoms (10)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Lack of facial expression: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Lack of facial expression as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Facial disorders - certain disorders of the face may limit expressions.
- Psychological, mental and emotional disorders
- Other less common psychological disorders with flat affect include:
- Physical disorders (type of Non-genetic diseases)
- Certain drugs
- See also smile symptoms, facial paralysis, facial weakness or other facial symptoms
Conditions listing symptoms: Lack of facial expression: The following list of conditions have 'Lack of facial expression' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center