Symptom: High blood pressure
High blood pressure: Excessive blood pressure.
Detailed cause information for symptom: High blood pressure:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
High blood pressure type of: Blood pressure symptoms (37)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: High blood pressure: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of High blood pressure as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Essential hypertension - about 90-95% of cases of hypertension
- Gestational hypertension - occurring during pregnancy.
- Metabolic syndrome
- Pheochromocytoma - only about 1 in a 1000 people with hypertension have a pheochromocytoma.
- Primary Hyperaldosteronism - about 1-2% of cases of hypertension (Ganda )
- Sleep apnea
- Aortic valve condition
- Toxemia of pregnancy
- Kidney disease
- Cushing's disease (type of Cushing's syndrome)
- Certain medications
- Amphetamine intoxication
Medications or substances causing High blood pressure: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of High blood pressure as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Amphetamine intoxication
- Certain appetite suppressants
- Oral contraceptives
- Thyroid pills
- Certain anti-depressants
- MAO inhibitors - may trigger high blood pressure with certain foods (e.g. cheese, red wine, chocolate).
Conditions listing symptoms: High blood pressure: The following list of conditions have 'High blood pressure' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Conditions listing complications: High blood pressure: The following list of conditions have 'High blood pressure' or similar listed as a complication in our database. The distinction between a symptom and complication is not always clear, and conditions mentioning this symptom as a complication may also be relevant. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Related medical articles for Hypertension:
Last revised: Nov 13, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center