Symptom: Dry mouth
Dry mouth: Reduced or absent saliva in the mouth.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Dry mouth:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Dry mouth type of: Throat symptoms (120)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Dry mouth: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Dry mouth as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Some simple reasons for dry mouth include:
- Certain nutritional deficiencies may cause dry mouth:
- Salivary gland disorder
- Salivary gland calculus
- Excessive urination - causes dehydration; see causes of excessive urination
- Certain hormonal or metabolic disorders:
- Radiation therapy - if it exposes the head and neck to radiation.
- Radiation exposure
- Certain medications - in fact many medications can cause dry mouth
- Amphetamine intoxication
Medications or substances causing Dry mouth: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Dry mouth as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Numerous medications - various medications can cause dry mouth
- Certain diuretics
- Certain high blood pressure medications
- Certain muscle spasm medications
- Certain decongestants
- Certain antidepressants
- Amphetamine intoxication
Conditions listing symptoms: Dry mouth: The following list of conditions have 'Dry mouth' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Conditions listing complications: Dry mouth: The following list of conditions have 'Dry mouth' or similar listed as a complication in our database. The distinction between a symptom and complication is not always clear, and conditions mentioning this symptom as a complication may also be relevant. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center