Symptom: Double vision
Double vision: Seeing two images, overlapping images, shadow images, or ghost images (diplopia)
Introduction: The medical term for double vision is "diplopia". This occurs when two images are seen of one object. This specific symptom needs to be distinguished from other vision symptoms including blurred vision, shadow images, or other visual changes. Double vision or any visual changes need prompt professional medical investigation.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Double vision:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Double vision type of: Vision changes (114), Vision distortion (91)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Double vision: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Double vision as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Normal peripheral vision - most people can see double if they look to the extreme of the peripheral vision field.
- Head trauma
- Eye injury
- Brain injury
- Orbital fracture
- Eye alignment disorder
- Internuclear opthalmoplegia
- Eye muscle disorder - and various underlying conditions that may affect eye muscle including:
- Eye nerve disorder
- Brain conditions
- Eye lens disorder - if one eye lens is affected, this may cause double vision.
- Dislocated lens
- Marfan syndrome
- Visual hallucinations (see Vision distortion)
- Giant cell arteritis
Medications or substances causing Double vision: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Double vision as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Recent dental anesthetic - may affect an eye's nerve.
Conditions listing symptoms: Double vision: The following list of conditions have 'Double vision' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Related medical articles for Diplopia:
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center