Symptom: Breath odor
Breath odor: Unpleasant or excessive breath odor.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Breath odor:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Breath odor type of: Breathing symptoms (165), Breath symptoms (16), Odor symptoms (23)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Breath odor: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Breath odor as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Practical reasons for bad breath odor include:
- Dental conditions
- Mouth conditions
- Throat conditions (type of Neck conditions)
- Nasal conditions
- Certain infections of the respiratory system including:
- Certain lung diseases
- Certain metabolic or hormonal disorders:
- Liver disorders
- Liver failure - causes sweet-smelling breath.
- Diabetic ketoacidosis - a life-threating condition causing a characteristic fruity or acetone breath odor.
- Uremia - breath smells urine-like or ammonia-like.
- Kidney failure - causing uremia and ammonia-like or urine-like breath odor.
- Stomach disorders
- Certain types of poisoning
- Certain drugs
Medications or substances causing Breath odor: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Breath odor as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Any drugs that dry the mouth, nose or reduce salivation
- Certain sinus disorder drugs
- Certain antidepressants
Conditions listing symptoms: Breath odor: The following list of conditions have 'Breath odor' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center