Symptom: Black stool
Black stool: Darkening or blackness of stool
Detailed cause information for symptom: Black stool:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Types of Black stool: dark stool (10)
Black stool type of: Stool color (45), Dark stool (10)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Black stool: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Black stool as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Blood in stool - see causes of blood in stool and rectal bleeding for various possible diagnoses.
- Internal bleeding (see Bleeding symptoms)
- Gastrointestinal bleeding
- Rectal bleeding (type of Gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Stomach bleeding (type of Gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Intestinal polyps (type of Polyp)
- Peptic ulcer
- Colon cancer
- Diverticular disease
- Jejunal diverticula
- Esophageal bleeding (type of Gastrointestinal bleeding)
- Certain foods
- Iron supplements
- Stomach bleeding (type of Gastrointestinal bleeding) - usually causes darker or black blood in the stool.
Medications or substances causing Black stool: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Black stool as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Iron supplements
Conditions listing symptoms: Black stool: The following list of conditions have 'Black stool' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Last revised: Nov 3, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center