Amenorrhea: Absence of menstrual periods.
Detailed cause information for symptom: Amenorrhea:
Medical articles on symptoms: These general medical articles may be of interest:
- Symptoms of the Silent Killer Diseases
- Symptoms and Medical Malpractice
- Medical mistakes and their rates, causes and prevention
- Deaths and sudden death
Amenorrhea type of: Female sexual symptoms (86), Menstrual irregularities (62)
Symptoms: symptom center, symptom groups, symptom descriptions
Possible causes of symptom: Amenorrhea: The following medical conditions are some of the possible causes of Amenorrhea as a symptom. There are likely to be other possible causes, so ask your doctor about your symptoms.
- Breast feeding
- Some weight-related or lifestyle causes of missed periods include:
- Certain ovary conditions possibly causing amenorrhea include:
- Some hormonal or disease causes of missed periods or amenorrhea include:
- Cessation of oral contraceptives
- Excess prolactin - see also causes of nipple discharge
- Hormonal disorders (type of Endocrine disorders)
- Thyroid disorder
- Cushing's syndrome
- Adrenal disorder
- Adrenal tumor
- Pituitary disorder
- Pituitary tumor
- Brain tumor
- Masculinization disorders
- Hypothalamus disorders
- GnRH deficiency
- Kallmann's syndrome
- Severe disease - any type of serious disease may affect menstruation.
- Some other causes of missed periods or lack of menstruation include:
- Causes of delayed start of menstruation include:
- Normal adolescents - some girls start menstruating later than others.
- Imperforate hymen
- Congenital cervix abnormality
- Narrow cervix
- Congenital uterus abnormality
- Double uterus
- Lack of uterus
- Turner syndrome
- GnRH deficiency
- Transverse vaginal septum
- See also causes of anovulation, delayed menarche or female infertility
- Asherman's syndrome
- Endometrial scarring
- Complications from D&C procedure
Medications or substances causing Amenorrhea: The following drugs, medications, substances or toxins are some of the possible causes of Amenorrhea as a symptom. This list is incomplete and various other drugs or substances may cause your symptoms. Always advise your doctor of any medications or treatments you are using, including prescription, over-the-counter, supplements, herbal or alternative treatments.
- Certain medications
Conditions listing symptoms: Amenorrhea: The following list of conditions have 'Amenorrhea' or similar listed as a symptom in our database. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Conditions listing complications: Amenorrhea: The following list of conditions have 'Amenorrhea' or similar listed as a complication in our database. The distinction between a symptom and complication is not always clear, and conditions mentioning this symptom as a complication may also be relevant. This computer-generated list may be inaccurate or incomplete. Always seek prompt professional medical advice about the cause of any symptom.
Related medical articles for Amenorrhea:
Last revised: Nov 10, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center