Prevention of Sprain
Prevention list: Methods of prevention of Sprain mentioned in various sources includes those listed below. This prevention information is gathered from various sources, and may be inaccurate or incomplete. None of these methods guarantee prevention of Sprain.
- Healthy diet - keeps muscles strong.
- Healthy weight
- Fall prevention methods - e.g. clean up obstacles, avoid wet areas, etc.
- Properly fitting shoes
- Stretching exercises
- Warm-up and stretch - before sports or exercise
- Protective sports equipment
- Avoid sports/exercise when in pain
- Avoid sports/exercise when tired
- Avoid running on uneven surfaces
Prevention of Sprain: There are many things people can do to help lower their risk of sprains and strains:
- Maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet to keep muscles strong.
- Maintain a healthy weight.
- Practice safety measures to help prevent falls (for example, keep stairways, walkways, yards, and driveways free of clutter, and salt or sand icy patches in the winter).
- Wear shoes that fit properly.
- Replace athletic shoes as soon as the tread wears out or the heel wears down on one side.
- Do stretching exercises daily.
- Be in proper physical condition to play a sport.
- Warm up and stretch before participating in any sports or exercise.
- Wear protective equipment when playing.
- Avoid exercising or playing sports when tired or in pain.
- Run on even surfaces.
1. excerpt from Questions and Answers Sprains and Strains: NIAMS
Last revision: June 18, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center