Introduction: Paralytic shellfish poisoning


advertisement

Paralytic shellfish poisoning: Rare food poisoning from eating contaminated shellfish

Paralytic shellfish poisoning: Paralytic shellfish poisoning is caused by a different dinoflagellate with a different toxin, than that causing ciguatera poisoning. These dinoflagellates have a red-brown color, and can grow to such numbers that they cause red streaks to appear in the ocean called "red tides." This toxin is known to concentrate within certain shellfish that typically live in the colder coastal waters of the Pacific states and New England, though the syndrome has been reported in Central America. Shellfish that have caused this disease include mussels, cockles, clams, scallops, oysters, crabs, and lobsters.1

Researching symptoms of Paralytic shellfish poisoning: Further information about the symptoms of Paralytic shellfish poisoning is available including a list of symptoms of Paralytic shellfish poisoning, or alternatively return to research other symptoms in the symptom center.

Treatments for Paralytic shellfish poisoning: Various information is available about treatments available for Paralytic shellfish poisoning, or research treatments for other diseases.

         Contents for Paralytic shellfish poisoning:

Footnotes:
1. excerpt from Marine Toxins: DBMD

Medical Tools & Articles:


Next articles:

Medical Articles:
 
 
CureResearch.comTM Copyright © 2010 Health Grades, Inc. All rights reserved.
Home | Contents | Search | Site Map | Feedback | Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us | Advertise