Medical Dictionary: NMD
Medical dictionaries: Medical dictionary, Medical malpractice dictionary, Medical Acronymns/Abbreviations
NMD: Another name for Neuronal Migration Disorders.
NMD (condition): Group of disorders caused by abnormal growth of nerves in the brain and head.
Neuronal migration disorders (NMDs) are a
group of disorders caused by the abnormal migration of nerve cells
(neurons) very early in the development of the fetal nervous system.
Neuronal migration is the process in which neurons move from their place
of origin to their permanent location. When this process is disrupted, the
result is a structurally abnormal brain involving the cerebral
hemispheres, cerebellum, brainstem, and/or hippocampus.
More information on medical condition: Neuronal Migration Disorders:
- Introduction: Neuronal Migration Disorders
- Basic Summary for Neuronal Migration Disorders
- Types of Neuronal Migration Disorders
- Symptoms of Neuronal Migration Disorders
1. excerpt from NINDS Neuronal Migration Disorders Information Page: NINDS
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center