Medical Dictionary: Infantile Phytanic Acid Storage Disease
Medical dictionaries: Medical dictionary, Medical malpractice dictionary, Medical Acronymns/Abbreviations
Infantile Phytanic Acid Storage Disease: Another name for Infantile Refsum Disease.
Infantile Phytanic Acid Storage Disease (condition): Genetic disease affecting nerve and muscle control.
Infantile Phytanic Acid Storage Disease:
Infantile Refsum disease is a disorder characterized by
the reduction or absence of peroxisomes (cell structures that rid the body
of toxic substances) in the body and by the accumulation of phytanic acid
in blood plasma and tissue. Infantile Refsum disease is one of a group of
genetic disorders called the leukodystrophies that affect growth of the
myelin sheath, the fatty covering -- which acts as an insulator -- on
nerve fibers in the brain.
More information on medical condition: Infantile Refsum Disease:
- Introduction: Infantile Refsum Disease
- Basic Summary for Infantile Refsum Disease
- Symptoms of Infantile Refsum Disease
- Treatments for Infantile Refsum Disease
1. excerpt from NINDS Infantile Refsum Disease Information Page: NINDS
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center