Causes of Lung cancer


advertisement

Cause statistics for Lung cancer: The following are statistics from various sources about the causes of Lung cancer:

  • Smoking is responsible for 87% of African Americans lung cancer cases in America (CBCF Health Organisation, 2004)

Cause details for Lung cancer: 87% of lung cancer is caused by smoking, so what about the other 13%? There is evidence that exposure to tobacco smoke in the home, usually from a smoking spouse, may increase the risk of lung cancer in non-smoking women. Nearly 9 out of 10 non-smoking Americans are exposed to environmental tobacco smoke (also known as "second-hand" smoke), as measured by levels of nicotine in their blood. The best scientific studies show that restrictions on second hand smoke reduce the risk of death and injury to non-smokers, including the hundreds of thousands of children with asthma and other respiratory illness. The FDA has classified second-hand smoke as a Group A carcinogen (known to cause cancer in humans.) Studies have also evaluated environmental tobacco exposure outside the home, either in a work or social setting but they provide inconclusive results. More studies are needed to determine how much exposure might be harmful in any of these settings. 1

Underlying condition causes of Lung cancer: The list of possible underlying conditions (see also Misdiagnosis of underlying causes of Lung cancer) mentioned in various sources as possible causes of Lung cancer includes:

Lung cancer as a complication: Other conditions that might have Lung cancer as a complication might be potential underlying causes of Lung cancer. The list of conditions listing Lung cancer as a complication in our database includes:

Causes of Lung cancer: medical news summaries: The following medical news items are relevant to causes of Lung cancer:

Related information for causes of Lung cancer: Further relevant information on causes of Lung cancer may be found in the risk factors for Lung cancer and underlying causes of Lung cancer.

Footnotes:
1. excerpt from Lung Cancer: NWHIC

Last revision: June 2, 2003

Medical Tools & Articles:


Next articles:

Medical Articles:
 
 
CureResearch.comTM Copyright © 2010 Health Grades, Inc. All rights reserved.
Home | Contents | Search | Site Map | Feedback | Contact Us | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | About Us | Advertise