Types of Lung conditions
Types list: The list of types of Lung conditions mentioned in various sources includes:
- Lung cancer
- Bronchopulmonary dysplasia
- Chronic Bronchitis
- Cystic fibrosis
- Bronchiolitis obliterans - lung damage typically following lung transplant or bone marrow transplant.
- Interstitial lung diseases
- Pulmonary fibrosis
- Bronchial disorders
- Allergic bronchopulmonary aspergillosis
- Chlamydia pneumoniae
- Familial emphysema
- High altitude pulmonary edema
- Lung abscess
- Mountain sickness
- Pleural effusion
- Pneumococcal pneumonia
- Primary pulmonary hypertension
- Pulmonary Anthrax
- Respiratory conditions
- Respiratory diphtheria
- Respiratory infections
- Respiratory syncytial virus
- Respiratory failure
- Pulmonary hypertension
- Pulmonary edema
- Pulmonary embolism
- Pulmonary thromboembolism - a pulmonary embolism often from a leg or pelvic blood clot.
- Adult respiratory distress syndrome
- Respiratory distress syndrome
- Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis
- Collapsed lung
- Acute Bronchitis
- Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- Goodpasture syndrome
Types discussion: The most common lung diseases include:
Diseases of the airways. These diseases include asthma, chronic bronchitis, emphysema, bronchiolitis, cystic fibrosis, and bronchiectasis. They are characterized by structural changes in the airways that limit or obstruct the flow of air in or out of the lungs.
Diseases of the interstitium (space between the tissues of the lungs). These diseases cause the lungs to stiffen and scar. They can be caused by drugs, poisons, infections, or radiation.
Disorders of the gas exchange or blood circulation in the lungs. These diseases include pulmonary edema, pulmonary embolism, respiratory failure, and pulmonary hypertension.
Disorders due to unusual atmospheric pressure. Atmospheric pressures include high altitudes where the air has less oxygen, or deep water where there is more atmospheric pressure and higher nitrogen levels in the blood.
Disorders of the pleura (the membrane that surrounds the lungs). This condition occurs when air or fluid accumulates in the pleural space. Infections such as pneumonia and tuberculosis are caused by bacteria or viruses, and they are the most common types of lung illness.
Cancer of the lungs. This disease is caused primarily by smoking. The rates of lung cancer continue to increase in women, and it is the leading cancer killer of American women.
1. excerpt from Lung Disease: NWHIC
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center