Treatments for Encephalitis
Treatment list for Encephalitis: The list of treatments mentioned in various sources for Encephalitis includes the following list. Always seek professional medical advice about any treatment or change in treatment plans.
- Emergency hospitalization - often required; encephalitis is potentially fatal.
- Antiviral medications
- Injected antibiotics
- Anticonvulsants - for seizures or their prevention
- Corticosteroids - reduce brain swelling
- Sedatives - may be necessary
- Treatments to relief intracranial pressure
Treatments of Encephalitis discussion:
Antiviral medications may be prescribed for herpes
encephalitis or other severe viral infections. Antibiotics may be
prescribed for bacterial infections. Anticonvulsants are used to prevent
or treat seizures. Corticosteroids are used to reduce brain swelling and
inflammation. Sedatives may be needed for irritability or restlessness.
Over-the-counter medications may be used for fever and headache.
Individuals with encephalitis or bacterial meningitis are usually
hospitalized for treatment.
1. excerpt from NINDS Encephalitis and Meningitis Information Page: NINDS
Last revision: May 27, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center