Prevention of Dracunculiasis
Prevention of Dracunculiasis: Because Guinea worm disease can only occur by drinking contaminated water, following these simple control measures can completely prevent illness and eliminate the disease.
- Drink clean water, free from contamination.
- Prevent persons with an open Guinea worm ulcer from entering ponds and wells used for drinking water.
- Filter water fleas from drinking water.
- Treat contaminated water sources with a chemical, such as Abate*, that kills water fleas.
* Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by the Public Health Service or by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
1. excerpt from Dracunculiasis: DPD
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center