Types of Diarrhea
Types list: The list of types of Diarrhea mentioned in various sources includes:
- Acute diarrhea - any type of sudden severe diarrhea
- Chronic diarrhea - ongoing problems with diarrhea
- Infectious Diarrhea - various contagious infections causing diarrhea.
- Traveler's diarrhea
- Diabetic Diarrhea
- Common Diarrhea
- Overflow diarrhea - such as caused by constipation or other blockages.
Diarrhea can be either acute or chronic. The acute form, which lasts
less than 3 weeks, is usually related to a bacterial, viral, or parasitic
infection. Chronic diarrhea lasts more than 3 weeks and is usually related
to functional disorders like irritable bowel syndrome or diseases like
celiac disease or inflammatory bowel disease.
1. excerpt from Diarrhea: NIDDK
Last revision: Nov 11, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center