Misdiagnosis of Diabetes
Generally speaking it is uncommon that a diagnosis of diabetes is totally wrong. If there is a misdiagnosis related to diabetes, it is usually that diabetes is not diagnosed, the wrong subtype is diagnosed, or a missed complication or underlying condition. However, there are a few rare cases where a diagnosis of diabetes might be incorrect.
|About misdiagnosis: When checking for a misdiagnosis of Diabetes or confirming a diagnosis of Diabetes, it is useful to consider what other medical conditions might be possible misdiagnoses or other alternative conditions relevant to diagnosis. These alternate diagnoses of Diabetes may already have been considered by your doctor or may need to be considered as possible alternative diagnoses or candidates for misdiagnosis of Diabetes. For a general overview of misdiagnosis issues for all diseases, see Overview of Misdiagnosis.|
Alternative diagnoses list for Diabetes: For a diagnosis of Diabetes, the following list of conditions have been mentioned in sources as possible alternative diagnoses to consider during the diagnostic process for Diabetes:
- Diabetes insipidus - has a similar type of urination symptom pattern, but is usually ruled out early by a urine or blood glucose test.
- Fructosuria - a rare genetic disease that has fructose sugar in the urine.
- Xylulosuria - a rare genetic disease that has xylulose sugar in the urine.
- Pancreatitis - an inflammation of the pancreas digestive-related areas may also affect the endocrine pancreas side.
- Glucagonoma - a rare form of endocrine pancreatic cancer
Diabetes as an alternative diagnosis: The other diseases for which Diabetes is listed as a possible alternative diagnosis in their lists include:
- Diabetes Insipidus
- Impaired glucose tolerance
- Reye's Syndrome
Medical news summaries about misdiagnosis of Diabetes: The following medical news items are relevant to misdiagnosis of Diabetes:
- Diabetes misdiagnosis leads to rapid weight gain
- Overweight children being underdiagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes
- Symptoms of old age may be similar to many other treatable conditions
- Undiagnosed diabetes can lead to heart problems
Misdiagnosis cases for Diabetes:
No cases available yet.
Last revision: April 10, 2003
Medical Tools & Articles:
- Risk Factor Center
- Medical Statistics Center
- Medical Treatment Center
- Prevention Center
- Medical Tests Center